Alabama Department of Environmental Management
P O Box 301463 (Zip 36130-1463)
1400 Coliseum Boulevard (Zip 36110-2400)
Montgomery, Alabama


The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) is soliciting proposals for Clean Water Act - Section 319(h) Nonpoint Source Demonstration Grant funding for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020. State and local governmental units, non-profit organizations, and public institutions are eligible. Grant funds must be used to achieve the goals, objectives, and milestones of the latest EPA-approved Alabama Nonpoint Source Management Program. Proposals must be designed to implement significant actions that will make absolute progress in preventing, eliminating, or reducing water quality impairments caused by nonpoint source (NPS) pollution.

Priorities for NPS Program Funds include NPS pollutant load reductions and providing education/outreach, technical assistance, and technology transfer. Eligible projects include implementation of a watershed-based management plan, implementation of best management practices that are not specifically required by a draft or final National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit, measures to protect groundwater from NPS of pollution, and NPS project staffing and support services. Certain public reservoir or lake protection and restoration activities (other than sediment dredging and macrophyte harvesting) may also be eligible. Water quality protection practices required by state or federal laws, rules, regulations or permits or as a result of an ADEM or Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulatory or enforcement action are not eligible for Section 319 grant funding.

Proposals requesting Watershed Project Funds must target restoration of NPS pollution impaired waterbodies identified on 2002 and subsequent year Clean Water Act Section 303(d) Lists and/or implement the NPS components of a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL). Proposals should target nonpoint sources of nitrogen, phosphorus, and/or sediment load reductions. Other NPS or TMDL pollutants of concern such as pathogens, low dissolved oxygen, pH, or metals may also be targeted. Proposals must provide pre-project NPS pollutant load reduction estimates. A watershed-based management plan should be submitted to ADEM with the Watershed Project Fund proposal. The proposal must target NPS pollution management practices identified in the watershed-based management plan, which should be based upon a 12-digit hydrologic unit code and incorporate EPA (a--i) watershed-based plan elements.

Proposals may be mailed or submitted electronically (preferred) to the Department. Communication with ADEM NPS Unit staff prior to the development and submittal of a proposal is strongly encouraged in order to ascertain FY 2020 goals and objectives and funding availability. The Section 319 grant will reimburse grant recipients up to 60 percent of the total approved project costs. The remaining minimum 40 percent total project cost must be provided as real or in-kind non-federal match.  To be eligible for invoiced reimbursement, eligible costs must be incurred within the ADEM-approved project time period, which will not exceed 36 months.

Availability of grant funds, amounts, and award schedules are conditioned on EPA’s budget as approved by Congress and subsequent allocation of Section 319 grant funds to the state. The ADEM reserves the right to wholly fund, partially fund, or not fund any proposal or any component of any Section 319 grant proposal.

Notice is hereby given this 3rd day of October, 2018, by authorization of the Alabama Department of Environmental Management.

The contact person for this Request for Proposals is:

Susan Summerlin, Chief
Nonpoint Source Unit
Office of External Affairs
Alabama Department of Environmental Management
Telephone (334) 394-4354

Lance R. LeFleur

Nondiscrimination Statement:  The Department does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in the administration of its programs.